Thursday, February 17, 2011

So, Can I Do It Without The Computer?

That was a question I asked myself since I will be taking commissions for portraits at the Six Summit Gallery. I know some people might not want a print, feeling it was not an original. Technically, the print is the original since the file is a digital file. I don't think the digital vs traditional argument will ever be settled.


So, I set about finishing the portrait of Lydia by printing the outline I had drawn and posted last week. I printed it on watercolor paper and then painted and drew directly on the paper... no separate layers, no scanning and assembling.


I'm pleased with the piece, but not ecstatic. I don't like the texture of the paper for drawing. I'll have to experiment on a hot press paper to see if I get better results. Also, the colors are not as dynamic as they are when printed on my Epson 7880. I'll keep plugging at this, and maybe even offer a client the choice.


Anyway, here she is... portrait number 5... my daughter Lydia.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The first step away from the computer is the hardest! Keep going, Ed! This is great...and you may actually get a mojo going with this new approach. If this is the first blush, I cannot even begin to imagine the next one! <3

Karen Nolan said...

Looks great Ed. Digital is always more vibrant but there's nothing like a hand painted original.k